Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A future conversation I may have with my wife.

“Honey, we should put in a deck,” my beautiful, sweet wife states after she inspected the back of the house and concluded it was lacking.

“Interesting selection of pronouns. Of the 8 or so options, you felt that one best fit the current situation. When I try to get someone to do something, I most commonly ask using the pronoun that would indicate them completing the task. Throwing in words that mean the work would be equally shared among those being implicated by the pronoun seems anomalous. Allow me a moment to elucidate the proper use of the word we. We is a combination of the pronouns you and I or an even larger grouping of people in which the person saying we is included. It does not mean your participation in the whole process is simply saying the task or job and I do everything.”

“Oh my word, I married a moron. Are you really that daft?”

“Yes honey. How this eluded you for so long eludes me. I’ll get to work on that deck right away. Thank you for entertaining the poor peasant you share a bed with."

“Is that hammering or you flapping gums?”

“I love you honey!”

Postscript: I will never talk like that to my wife. I simply tried to make a funny, fictional conversation. Failure is as bitter as it is easily accomplished for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment